Wednesday, August 19, 2009

-chocalate- & my interpretation


The second 15 Malaysia short film is release...
-chocolate- by Yasmin Ahmad




First when i viewed it, full of curiosity. What will Yasmin Ahmad produce this time, and for the last time. But the short film ended quite shock and short. I was like? huh? finished?

As i watched the 2nd, 3rd times, i think i slowly understand the message she wanna send....

First, the mum want to send the send to overseas for studies with scholarship but the kid refused. This shows that, Chinese parents nowadays always want to send their son away from this land because most of them believe that, this land is not fair to Chinese.

Second, the mum answered the son that she want to be with her boyfriend as long as she is happy eventho' she was cheated. I think here shows a very unhealthy role model to the child.

Third, when the Malay girl came to the shop, and being shy because of the son is half naked. This shows that we should respect the Malay culture as they are more conservative due to their belief and religion.

Forth, The son at first quite admire the Malay girl and distracted by her and get the wrong item for her instead of what she order. Here shows, love is natural. It shouldn't involve skin colour issue.

Fifth, the son react totally different when the mum shout at him and tried to stop him chat with the Malay girl. This show the Chinese racism towards the Malay and eventually it's effect the next generation.

Sixth, just because lack of 5 sen and the son refuse to sell the chocolate to the malay girl. This shows that, the economic level in the society and how we always discriminate others.


That's my interpretation...what's yours?

3 comments:

Ann said...

just dropped here and this entry is quite interesting to me, yeah i agree with u, racism issue still occur nowadays, and i like Yasmin Ahmad's works, she try to reunite between races in malaysia almost in her works.

chuan said...

For Trev.

I was thoroughly surprised; when I typed "15malaysia site", your blog was the 8th on the search-page.

I'm glad I saw Chocolate here first.

I won't be teaching you all Socio-Cultural Comm. next sem.

If I could, I'd shown you all Chocolate.

To know what Yasmin was thinking, here's the making-of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiXTS-QKqT4&feature=player_embedded

We can lose people in our life -our loved ones, our friends, and also Yasmin Ahmad- but we will never lose the lessons they'd taught us.

Stay cool, and stay true.

Mr.Chuan

I'm lovin' It said...

yo Mr. C...thx for the comment.

I was fans of this 15 Malaysia thingy. been waiting it since month ago. yea, checked out the making of...cool.

oh? thought that can noe more about the true meaning of this thru that subj.